VOLUNTEER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How old do I have to be to volunteer at the Museum?
Volunteers MUST be at least 14 years old or a high school freshman to participate, unless volunteering as part of a group. Volunteers under 18 must have a liability waiver signed by a parent or guardian on file before volunteering.
Is there a minimum time commitment required?
No, there is no minimum time commitment required. Volunteers can choose which days and times they would like to volunteer.
What kinds of volunteer activities can I participate in?
There is a wide range of volunteer opportunities at the Museum, including:
- EXHIBIT/PROGRAM VOLUNTEER Are you interested in seeing how the daily operations of the Museum work? This is a great opportunity to work alongside staff! This volunteer service includes interacting with Museum guests, maintaining Museum exhibits, and ensuring a safe and fun environment for all visitors. Any volunteers interested in doing anything and everything having to do with the Museum, this is the opportunity for you!
- SPECIAL EVENTS Volunteers who would like to be contacted when SCM is hosting a special event at the Museum, such as a fundraiser, or a public event like Free Museum Day are encouraged to apply for this role. Special Event Volunteers have had the opportunity to work with a range of community members including Museum Members, Founding Families, families with special needs, and low-income families.
- MATERIAL PREP Are you interested in working behind the scenes? With more than 250,000 visitors in just 3 years, we have A LOT to prepare in order to keep children in the community participating in programs at the Museum. This opportunity will allow you to prepare materials for arts and crafts activities or other events going on at SCM!
- CORPORATE GROUP PROJECTS If your business has a matching volunteer program, a group of five or more employees, or has a day to take off work for volunteer services, we would love to have you here! Corporate Groups are encouraged to schedule a time, preferably a Monday when the Museum is closed, or come in after hours to help us out with projects we do not have the opportunity to complete during open hours. Examples of past Corporate Group Projects include exhibit repairs, exhibit builds, painting, and other large projects.
- OTHER GROUP PROJECTS Groups or clubs (fraternal organizations, charity groups, school groups, scouts, etc.) consisting of 5 or more members have the opportunity to organize special activities for the Museum. Past Group Projects have been completed by organizations such as Junior League of Sacramento, National Charity League of Placer, and National Charity League of Sacramento. They have accomplished activities such as holiday crafts, additional activities for busy days, and activities for healthy living. Supplies typically are provided by the group.
Do you offer any internships?
A: If you are interested in an internship at the Museum, please click HERE.